While I did not have any difficulty with this upgrade, it is starting to sound like a number of people out there are having some serious difficulties. Please read the comments and other links in the comments before attempting this so that you go into it with your eyes open.
With the new version of Ubuntu available, I thought it would be useful to walk through the upgrade steps to bring your Drake to an Eft. This article will show you step-by-step how to implement the upgrade along with screen shots along the way. This writing is based on the work EdgyUpgrades found on the Ubuntu community help site and full credit is given to the author.
What You Need
In order to upgrade your Ubuntu system to version 6.10 Edgy Eft, you will need the following:
- A properly installed version of Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake
- A working internet connection
- Root access to the Ubuntu system
Please note that you cannot upgrade to 6.10 from any version prior to 6.06.
Performing the Upgrade
In order to perform the upgrade, please execute these steps in the following order:
- Log into your Ubuntu 6.06 system
- Go to Application -> Accessories -> Terminal
- In the terminal window, type gksu “update-manager -c”
- When prompted for the password, enter the root password and click OK
- The software updates window will now appear. Near the top of the window, you will see a line that states New distribution release ‘6.10′ is available and a button marked Upgrade. Click the Upgrade button.
- Read through the release notes and then click Upgrade
- The system will download two files which make up the upgrade tool
- Next, the system will begin to upgrade to 6.10. You are prompted whether or not to start the upgrade. Please read this very carefully because once it is started, it cannot be stopped! When you are sure you are ready, click Start Upgrade
- Once the download and installation is complete, you will be prompted to reboot the system
At this point, I might suggest doing something else for a while as the download of packages and upgrade can take some time.
When the system comes back up, you will be running the new 6.10 Edgy Eft! Let the games begin!
|Trackback link - http://www.dailycupoftech.com/upgrade-ubuntu-606-to-610/trackback/|